Thursday, June 4, 2015

Hand Painted Elsa "Frozen" Birthday Cake

I know we've all heard of Disney's "Frozen" movie.  I know we've all seen the cute cakes with the adorable little handmade sugar Elsa and Anna and Olaf.  I really love those cakes, but I also really, really LOVE being as original as I can with my cakes!  I have nothing against the other cakes I've seen, I just knew I HAD to make this cake stand out.  One of my many fatal flaws!  I look at a cake challenge and say to myself, "Make it cooler!"  Sometimes I go a little further than other cakes.  Thus this cake.....
 I've been wanting to do a 'painted' cake for a while since seeing this post by one of my favorite cake decorators!  She's got incredible cake tutorials that have been so helpful in my cake decorating journey.  I love the idea of making cake a piece of artwork.  Art was originally my biggest passion in life.  And McGreevy Cakes is so inspirational in this department!  (Thank you!!)
 I made the top of Elsa flat then had the bottom tier curve around the cake.  I added drapes of fabric to help give texture and movement to the overall picture.

 Snowflakes and swirls create the now famous picture of Elsa and her ice powers!
 The colors were ever changing on this cake.  I didn't have 'teal' food coloring, so I painted regular light blue first, then went over it with blue and green luster dusts.  Add silver and edible glitter for the folds and it gave so much fun dimension.

 The snowflakes started out with some cutters my awesome sister bought for me but they needed to look more like the "Frozen" snowflakes.  An X-acto knife and several minutes later and I had the shapes I was looking for.
 The folds of the dress ended in a fade of colors.

 Those lovely eyelashes were done with edible markers and edible 'paint.'  Check out the site above for how to make the paint.
And a HUGE shout out thank you to Brandi for her photography skills to capture this beauty!  I just recently watched her in action with a big group family photo shoot and her skills are off the hook!  She's so skilled with a camera.  It's like her magic wand!! Please go check out her site here and if you need a photographer call her!!!
Happy birthday, Addison!!!!  Thank you for giving me a chance to recapture my love of ART!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment